Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Intouchables

Summary:  Philippe is a quadriplegic, paralyzed from the neck down.  When he needs to hire a body man, Driss applies for the job in order to fulfill an application requirement to receive government benefits for being unemployed.  But Driss stand out, and gets the job.  There begins the tale of how two completely different men can form in incredible bond.

OaTs:  I love French films.  I'm contemplating learning French just so I can watch them and understand them without subtitles.  For some reason, and I think I can credit Marion Cotillard and her performance in La Vie En Rose for this, I prefer French films to any other foreign films, as a whole.

Francois Cluzet plays Philippe.  I had previously seen him in another French film called Tell No One, which I loved. He reminds me a bit of Dustin Hoffman.  He's simply wonderful in this film.  Dealt such a rough hand, he brings a sense of humor to things, and handles it better than most people probably would.  He has is struggles, sure, but his outlook on life is a lot better than some people who don't have to deal with what he does.

Omar Sy won the Caesar for Leading Actor this past year for his work in this film as Driss.  He won over Jean Dujardin, the Frenchman who won the Oscar this year for The Artist.  (The Caesar is the French equivalent of the Oscars.)  I thought, if he won in his home country over the guy who was winning all of these other awards, then he must be something to see.  And he was.  He has lead a rough life as well, and there are family problems showed throughout the film.  But he's a genuinely good man at heart, a side that not many people get to see.

I don't like a lot of drama in my life, and I don't find entertainment in people arguing and not getting along.  Probably why I don't watch those Real Housewives shows.  So to watch a film that does nothing but tell you the story of how two men began their lifelong friendship was a complete pleasure.  And to think that this was based on a true story makes my heart a little bit warmer.  The world could use more uplifting stories like this one.

Score:  8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment