Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Summary:  Seven British retirees move to India as strangers to live in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, what they believe to be a resort of sorts.  Upon their arrival, they see that it's much more of a work in progress than they originally thought.  They all moved there for different reasons:  Evelyn because her husband died leaving her in debt, Graham to rediscover a past love, Jean and Douglas because they lost money investing in their daughter's company, Muriel to receive hip surgery, Madge to find a wealthy husband, and Norman who looks to act younger than he is.

Jean and Douglas are in a very unhappy marriage.  She constantly scolds him and keeps to the hotel while he is out exploring.  Evelyn finds a job for herself and settles into life, while Muriel finds it difficult to be amongst those different than her.  That's a nice way of saying she is a bit racist.  Graham's story is a bit heartbreaking, and I don't wish to ruin it, but it was one of the highlights for me.  Madge and Norman provided more comic relief.

OaTs:  I love films that take place in far away lands, making the location a character of its own.  I have never been to India, and I have to say it's not that high on my list, but this film makes me want to give it a try.  I know the crowds and the traffic would do me in, but it's such a beautiful place.  I can understand the allure that bought them there.

I really liked Evelyn, played by Judi Dench.  She was such a lovely person, open to all new experiences and hoping that the later years of her life would be put to good use instead of wasting them.  The opposite could be said for Jean, Penelope Wilton, who spends most of her time in the hotel because she's scared to go out.  I also enjoyed how adventurous Douglas, Bill Nighy, was, and he kept trying to get his wife to go out.  You start to feel bad for the guy eventually.  Graham, played by Tom Wilkinson, was a really great role.  A man you can really root for.  And Muriel, the exquisite Maggie Smith.  I love her to pieces, and the way she learned to accept others and turn her back on her prejudices was a lovely story.  I wasn't expecting her to be quite so nasty when the film started, so I enjoyed her growth.

A truly delightful film that made me smile the entire way through.  I enjoy watching character grow and change, learn and teach.  Characters who seem real, and good at heart.  Oh - and Dev Patel, from Slumdog Millionaire played the hotel manager.  His storyline with his mother and his girlfriend added a nice comparison to  the lives of the retirees.  His youth was a nice touch.  He wasn't just used as a manager.  He had a backstory just like everyone else, and changed along with them.  A very well told story.

Score:  8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment