Thursday, December 29, 2011

War Horse

Summary:  This takes place in England at the beginning of the 20th century. Albert is the son of a drunken farmer and a hardworking mother.  They rent their farm from a greedy landlord who is interested in buying a certain horse at an auction.  Albert's father outbids the landlord out of spite and brings home a thoroughbred instead of a work horse like they needed on their farm.  Little did his father know, this was the horse Albert had his eye on.  Albert names the horse Joey, and they bond quickly.  In order to save the farm, they have to plow a rock-ridden and dried up field.  Albert and Joey try, but they can't do it.  Once it starts raining, the ground softens enough that they get the job done.

When WWI starts, Albert's father sells Joey to the army to pay off the farm.  (A heavy rain ruins their crops from the field Joey and Albert plowed.)  Albert is devastated.  He wants to enlist to go with Joey, but is too young.  The officer who takes Joey ensures Albert that he was take the best care of him and return Joey to Albert if at all possible.  This is the start of Joey's journey, through many countries, families, and owners - none of which would I like to spoil for you.

OaTs:  This would be one of those films that I truly enjoy watching for the first time, but cannot really see myself putting on a list of my favorite films.  It was beautiful, touching, and epic.  I truly believe in the connection between man and animal, and I love watching films about it.  I'm a sucker for animal films.  I love horses, or at least the idea of them since I have minimal personal experiences with horses.  I find them beautiful and majestic.  So to follow a horse on his journey was a really special viewing experience.

I was expecting the film to follow Albert more than Joey, but it was the other way around.  The people that Joey met along his journey through WWI, or The Great War at the time, were unexpected, but very welcome.  I got attached to some of them, who took temporary ownership/care of Joey.  Even so much that I wondered if I wanted him back with Albert instead of another person.  Ultimately, though, Joey was meant to be with Albert.  And the movie made me believe it.  I don't know how they got the horses to convey these feelings, but it worked really well.

If I have one complaint, it's in the lack of screen time for Tom Hiddleston.  He's a new favorite of mine, having previously seen him in Thor, Midnight in Paris, and The Deep Blue Sea.  He plays an Army Captain who takes Joey to war.  Their time together is too brief.  Captain Nichols was an upstanding man who promised Albert to return Joey to him if at all possible.  Then Joey moves on to another person.  Then another, and another.  The temporariness of Joey's caretakers, though, was in great service to the ultimate meaning of the story, so I understand why Hiddleston's time on screen is limited.  I can be a selfish viewer sometimes.
 
Score:  8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment