Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Artist

Summary:  George Valentin is a silent film star.  He is admired by all, and adored by upcoming starlet Peppy Miller.  She bumps into him while he is posing for publicity pictures on the sidewalk.  After her pictures run in the paper, she starts getting small parts in films as a dancer or back ground actor.  Her parts steadily grow once films add sound.  She becomes America's new sweetheart.  

George's career, however, takes a dive once talkies become popular.  He stubbornly decides to fund his own silent film, which tanks at the box office.  He is forced to auction his belongings and fire his driver/assistant.  The only companion that stays by his side is his pet dog.  His wife leaves him and he has to move out of his mansion.

Peppy is still drawn to George, long after years have passed since their first meeting.  She tries to help him get back into film and he rejects her help.  Coming to a breaking point, he finally accepts the changes in film a joins Peppy for a show stopping dance number.

OaTs:  I have wanted to see this film ever since I learned of its existence.  I love films about the film industry.  I love French films.  I love black and white films.  This seemed to have all of this going for it.  It was screening at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), but only before I was schedule to arrive in Toronto to volunteer.  I didn't get the chance to see it there, and was rather bummed because I thought the chance of it coming anywhere near the Shenandoah Valley was slim to none.  Guess I was wrong.  I'd like to send out a big "Thank You!" to the Virginia Film Festival.

My sister, Lisa, joined me for the screening at The Paramount Theater in Charlottesville.  It was the perfect venue for a silent, black and white film.  It was an old theater with upholstered seats and intricate detailing on the walls and ceiling.  And there was a balcony.  It's was old-timey.  It was perfect.  Even the presenter of the film said, "Somewhere, Samuel Goldwyn is smiling at people watching a silent movie in a theater like this."  Like I said, perfect.

When I have told people about the film, they seemed surprised that I, or anyone, would have enjoyed a silent film.  They obviously don't know me all that well.  I respect and admire film history more than I can express.  To be able to step into a time machine and go back to the cinemas of the 1920s and 1930s was an irreplaceable experience.  This experience almost means more to me than the film itself.

Anyway, I absolutely loved it. The acting was incredible.  You get to know these characters and sympathize with them even though they aren't speaking.  Their face tells the story.  You understand their feelings just by their body movement and facial expressions.  Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo played the leads to great results.  Their chemistry was incredible.

After watching the film trailer more times than any person should, I came to the conclusion that the film would be more dark than light.  I was wrong.  There was lots of humor and plenty of comedic moments for the leads and their wonderful supporting cast.  I was worried it would be too much like A Star is Born or Singin' in the Rain.  But it actually combined the best parts of both stories/films to great effect.  The drama hit a bit harder once you had been laughing.

I'm really hoping this does well come Oscar night. 

Score:  10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment