Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Red Box Trip - Weekend of September 23rd

Jane Eyre:  I love Michael Fassbender, and he was fantastic as Mr. Rochester.  He brought such deep emotion to his face, you understood exactly what the character was feeling.  I find him to be absolutely breathtaking.  Perfectly cast for such a loaded role.  I just wish his leading lady held her own.  I don't think there was anything wrong with Mia Wasikowska, but she wasn't really Jane for me.  In previous versions of this story, Jane has been strong willed and determined.  And she was in this one as well, because of the script, but I didn't feel the power and strength coming from Wasikowska that I wanted to feel.  She was too soft spoken.  And I didn't see much life in her face.  She was delightful in a previous film of hers that I saw, so I had high hopes.  I guess that's what happens when I have expectations.  (7/10)

Prom: I blame my desire to see this on Aimee Teegarden, Julie Taylor from Friday Night Lights.  She plays the main character in this teen ensemble piece about, yes - you guessed it, PROM.  It wasn't horrible.  One storyline I actually liked because I actually thought it sent a good message to teen and preteen girls.  The girl who was expected to be Prom Queen found out that her boyfriend, also expected to be Prom King, was cheating on her.  She broke up with him a couple of days before but when to Prom by herself anyway.  I thought that was fantastic.  They both won and she left him on stage and refused to dance with him.  She was great.  But anyway, Aimee Teegarden's character was the main Prom planner.  A motorcycle driving, leather jacket wearing, slacker is punished for missing class and forced to help her out.  And I'm sure you can guess where this is going.  They fall in love.  Some cliche moments, but the Prom Queen moment really made it worth seeing.  Hopefully young girls saw that and thought to themselves, "I don't need a guy to be validated.  I'm fabulous on my own."  (6/10)

The Conspirator:  A film based on an true, untold story in American History and directed by Robert Redford.  Of course I saw it.  It told the story of Mary Surrat, the mother of a co-conspirator of John Wilkes Booth, the man who shot Abe Lincoln.  She was the only woman on trial for the assassination.  She was stunningly played by Robin Wright.  Her lawyer was played by James McAvoy, who is quickly becoming more and more a favorite of mine.  He's really something else.  And I like it when there is a truly good person in a story to really root for.  Some people may disagree and find the "anti-hero" character more interesting.  Not me.  I mean, I love a good "anti-hero" every now and then, but I'd much rather find someone with truly good intentions.  And that was McAvoy's character.  Determined to defend his client even though his friends told him to give up on it.  I don't want to share the outcome, but since it's part of history, the truth is out there.  But whether or not she was found guilty or not isn't the point.  It's whether or not you think she is guilty.  I have my thoughts.  Come find me after you watch it and I'll share my point of view.  A great movie to spark debate, but also entertaining.  (8/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment